Thursday, August 21, 2008

For Buddy

This post is for you, buddy, to explain butterfly wings.  Because clearly I'm an expert :)  

I have been looking for a picture that will show you how it's possible for that to only be one butterfly, and I think I've found it:

See how the top wings kind of overlap the lower (brighter blue) wings?  They're actually able to separate, which is why in the picture from before looks like it has 4 separate wings.  So when you look from the side, they look like 2 whole wings, but when they're balancing and you look from the front, it looks like 4 separate wings.

That's about as scientific as I can get.  After all, I got my degree in psychology, not biology (or entomology?).  Anyway, hope that helps buddy! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

:) Thank you for the wonderfully thorough explanation Buddy! I think what through me off was the different colors of the wings. But i don't think you will be able to explain that one to me. It is what it is!!

Debbie said...

Gosh GR. Those recent photos are incredible! They take my breath away. I am so envious of your talents! When you have a chance please Snapfish them for us so we can order prints. I can't wait to see the pictures you and Joshua do at the wedding in California.
Love, Debbie